Thursday, July 2, 2009

Album Review: Shindig

Shindig
Greatest Hits Vol. II EP



Shindig is an anomaly for me. A band I really like, in a genre I generally can't stand. But undeniably this band is missing nothing.

Lyrics...great.
Hooks...great.
Vocalist...great.
Band...great.

Slowly rising from both the Louisville and Charleston punk scenes, this band is ready to pounce on the mainstream with vigor. Hell, if TRL were still on the air, these guys would have dethroned as pop-punk royalty Fall Out Boy long ago. Frontman Richie Ray's vocals are smooth, earnest, and heartfelt, making of every word of every song seem uncomfortably honest. On the songs "I'm the Type of Guy" and "After Tonight" Richie seems to look at both sides of the same coin. Both songs compliment each other perfectly with the opposing points of view: "I'm a bad guy for you" and "your a bad girl for me", respectively.

I must also warn that the infectious choruses of "Say Anything" and "Baby, I Was Born to Move" will stay in your head forever. Anyone with a love of pop music, an appreciation of punk music, and an enthusiasm for something fresh and original - will have to love this EP.

No comments: