Monday, August 3, 2009

Album Review: Drive-by Truckers

Drive-by Truckers

Live from Austin, TX


# of spins (out of 5):



What can I say and how should I say it?


Most reviewers are having verbal orgasms over this CD/DVD set, and I don’t really get it. This is not to say I don’t get The Truckers, because believe me I do (if you’ve spent much time on this blog you know they’ve owned a place in my heart since the release of 2003’s Decoration Day). In fact, maybe the reason I don’t get this is because I’m a little jaded, having seen this band (or variations of its past and present members) dozens of times over the years, I have a point of reference. So don’t get me wrong, I would love to appeal to my emotions and rave, but alas, I must yield to my sensibilities.


First of all if you have never actually seen these guys live or never heard either of the band’s previous live documents Alabama Ass Whuppin’ or the DVD only release The Dirty South: Live at the 40 Watt. Then I can understand how this album would suffice, because they are exceptional live and you have nothing to compare it to.


But here’s the thing…


As a live band The Truckers are at their most glorious when unrefined, unhinged, and uninhibited…none of which is compatible with the sterile, soundstage atmosphere that they’re dealing with here. Because remember the whole show is from the band’s episode of the PBS live music series Austin City Limits, which they recorded last Fall. This is not done in a bar, a music club, or some other seedy dwelling (places where The Truckers flourish like fine bacteria) filled with members of their intoxicated but loyal devotees – but rather they’re playing in front of a reserved crowd of mostly sober music execs. This isn’t to say that I don’t understand what a badge of validation it is for these guys to finally get a “Live from Austin City Limits” release, because it is a big deal. But let’s not kid ourselves and pretend that the band on this set is the same Drive-by Truckers I have been (literally) following for six years now.


The whole thing is 13 songs…another symptom of t.v. taping. In their natural habitat this band is only getting warmed up after 13 songs…they’re regularly known for their two-and-a-half to three hour shows – so forcing them to condense it into 83 minutes, just feels wrong. There are some gems dug up from their first two records, but their middle four albums are ignored almost entirely to stack the set with songs from 2008’s Brighter Than Creation’s Dark. While still a great album – loading the set with its songs, while ignoring crowd favorites from previous records, makes this feel less like a live document and more like a promotional stop in an album cycle.


Ultimately, is it bad? Nope. It’s The Truckers, if there is anything this band can do, it’s play live. But is this the career defining live set that people are hailing it to be? Hell, no. Once again, buy a ticket to their next show, then check out Alabama Ass Whuppin’ (although it’s long out of print, you might still be able to download it somewhere), and the DVD The Dirty South: Live at the 40 Watt. After doing that, go back and listen to Live from Austin, TX…you’ll see what I mean.

No comments: