Friday, April 24, 2009

Show Review: The Felice Brothers


The Felice Brothers
4/24/09 "Live Lunch", WFPK Studios, Louisville, KY

Hey, just got back from WFPK's Live Lunch with The Felice Brothers. The band was amazing, stoned and on'ry at noon...but their brilliance never dimmed. They're a nightmarish jug band who never seems to run out of dope...and I mean this in the very best way possible. Oh, and watching the Laura Shine try to interview these guys was worth the price of admission (which was free) alone.

The fraternal collective that hails from upstate New York was on point as they knocked out songs from their newly released album Yonder is the Clock like: "Memphis Flu", "Run Chicken Run", "Penn Station", and "The Big Surprise"; as well as dusting off materital from their mellow self-titled debut, such as: "Whiskey in My Whiskey", "Frankie's Gun" and "Ruby Mae".

The seedy ensemble also has a knack for words, with such fantastic lines such as: "I'm like Ahab/in love with the dirty thought/of the fish I never caught" or "You said you won't dance/until I wash my hands/but my hands aren't as dirty as my mind"

You should be able to find the whole performance streaming here (a montage video and the streaming audio just below it).

No comments: